- Dazzling animations and 3D effects make learning fun
- Interactive games help to develop geographical skills
- Easy-to-use search engines and over 600 pop-up fact boxes
- 44 scrolling maps contain sound, animation and information
- Supports Key Stages 1-2 of the National Curriculum in England, Wales and Ireland and the Scottish 5-14 Curriculum
- Encourages children to explore and investigate the world
- Develops fact-finding and map reading skills
- Educational quiz tests children and reinforces knowledge
- Developed and tested by educational experts
Armchair adventurers relax. With the Become a World Explorer CD-ROM children can obey the call of the wild and see the world without leaving the comfort of their home. Once loaded, it’s possible to whizz around the world in almost 80 ways with this fun and feature-packed CD-ROM learning adventure. As soon as you’ve filled in the virtual passport, you’re off. The first stop on any interactive globe-trotting adventure is Sam’s bedroom–it’s perfect for click-happy kids with animations that come to life when you hit the objects scattered around.
For beginner backpackers, a talking train gives a guided tour of how to find your way around the world, and what a choice there is. You’ll find video clips, an interactive index, a country finder with each nation’s flag and a wide range of fun games that test skills such as general knowledge and compass directions. A ringing phone launches more adventurous travellers straight into the globetrotting game that displays the strongest aspects of the software. Clues based on geographical sights and sounds lead players on an interactive journey around the world. Along the way, the players’ knowledge of capitals, continents and customs are tested in a totally involving way with three difficulty levels encouraging repeat visits.
The beautifully detailed animated maps with pop-up info boxes and sticker book links are an impressive feature, as are the virtual postcards. And although the amount of features may mean younger players require some initial help, this superb software combines learning with plenty of fun and will ensure numerous repeat visits. —Martin Oliver